Friday, July 4, 2014

OJO DE DIOS SHAWL AND COWGIRL COWL PATTERN REVIEWS...

Because I always have to have something in my hands (whether waiting in doctor's offices, or while watching the JAWS Marathon on TV the other night - at least they got to cool off in the water for a FEW moments), I've finished up some things lately that my knitting buddies might like a report on...mainly because I don't want to be the only one with this weird "idle hands thing" of mine.  Idle hands knitting at 112 degrees is quite a silly sport!
(Photo credit:   Interweave Knits/Vanessa Ewing)
I NEVER (well, that seems to be a bit of a lie now, given the content of this post) want to make something the way it is produced in a pattern.  I color outside the lines, and am pretty passionately individualistic. THIS, however, SCREAMED, "make me in JUST this incredible yarn!"  OJO DE DIOS SHAWL by Vanessa Ewing - every yarn shop in the country seems to be out of the colorway, leading me to believe that there will be hundreds of these, but it had to be done just the way it was.  Especially for us Southwest gals.  I have seen some of the other colorways, and believe me, they are just as spectacular...I just couldn't settle for "my way" this time.
A FABULOUSLY well-written, FUN pattern (HANDS-DOWN, my newest favorite!).  You won't get bored with this one (and it's easy to memorize) - "God's Eyes" are joined as you go.  The only thing I did different with this pattern was to work the three-sided Eyes with three 16" circular needles instead of the double points called for.  Pick up, and garter stitch short rows for the body.  Want the pattern for yourself - information can be found at RAVELRY (click either of these highlighted links to be transported), or INTERWEAVE KNITS.
(Photo credit:  Pam Powers Knits)
Winter can't get here soon enough - especially now that we are hitting 110 degrees before noon.  Second great pattern, COWGIRL COWL, by Pam Powers - this one took a little more concentration but was fairly easy to follow...I did pull out a notebook to make hash marks as I would finish a row.  Again, as I am in love with anything in this color right now, I did it as it was...
Baah! La Jolla Yarn was used - I LOVE Baah!'s yarns!  I admit to a little tea dying when I was through, to tone down the color I had purchased.  Pattern is worked back and forth across the rectangle cowl part first, and then changes direction to up and down to form the triangle section at the bottom - all in one/no seaming (I LOVE when that happens) - FABULOUS!  Pattern can be found on RAVELRY, or PAM POWERS KNITS.

Hoping for a travel post in the next few days, before travelling again, needles on a plane this time...
HAPPY 4TH OF JULY - make it a safe one!

12 comments:

Mary Ann Potter said...

The shawl is just gorgeous; the colors remind me of fall!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Nice patterns and work
The cowl is one I can try. They'd make nice gifts this winter. I like the color you've chosen as well.

Jackie said...

Wow, I wish I had the time to knit, someday, someday. Keeping the cowgirl shawl in my to do book!

Dorthe said...

Fabolous is the first shawl, in both colours and pattern, I LOVE it, dear Tanya, what a beauty.
And the second one so wonderful, too- Also I love the colours of autumn !
Hugs and kiss, from Dorthe

Tanya Rachelle said...

The shawl is gorgeous!!! Every so often I see a project I just have to make just as it is too. Love the colors and wow just wow... gorgeous.
~Tanya

Createology said...

Knitting in your heat is quite interesting but then I am enamored with you and your antics. Beautiful and unique shall that my Grandmother would have had to knit just to try out the pattern and colors if she saw it. Hydrate and stay as cool as possible. Summer Sparkles and Creative Bliss...
I am so happy to be home and read my favorite blogs!!!

Vicki Boster said...

Oh. My. Gosh. These are both simply stunning. Beautiful patterns and gorgeous yarn choices! You are amazing!! Would love to see you wearing these!

Love
Vicki

My Garden Diaries said...

Are ya kidding me right now! These are absolutely gorgeous friend! Hands down beautiful and beyond! What a gift you have and I am so glad that I can witness it! I don't know how you do the heat....though I have no idea how I do the cold! HA! Wishing you a wonderful 4th weekend buddy! Nicole xoxo

Jillayne said...

Beautiful knitting Tanya - you always amaze with your creations!
I just suffered from idle hands syndrome myself whilst we were on holiday in Oregon... I bought a knitted hot water bottle pattern and started on it right away - I'll be set when winter does arrive!

Elisabeth said...

Wow! That shawl is BEAUTIFUL! The pattern, the yarn, it's all perfect! I crochet all year round too, even in the heat of summer ;) it reminds me that no matter how hot it gets I know at some point it'll cool back down again! xx

Quinn said...

Joining the chorus of "those colors are fantastic!" Two lovely projects :)

Laurie said...

Loved the shawl. I'm afraid I could never knit that well. I'm only a novice knitter and have so many other activities going on that I just wouldn't have the time to practice. I'll just have to enjoy looking at yours.