Saturday, September 20, 2014

THE SANTA FE PENDLETON PROJECT...I CUT UP A SERIOUS BLANKET!

We bought a ridiculously gorgeous, expensive wool blanket with every intention of taking scissors to it.  It then took me a couple of months to work up enough courage to actually do it! Splitting the cost with my Mom, on our way through the southwest, this summer - an idea that both of us had been mulling over for a few years, but never bringing it up to the other.  This summer we did - "How about sacrificing a wool Pendleton blanket for the sake of fashion accessories"?!
Hers was finished this week, and flew home with her to CO, just this afternoon.  Large hobo bag - a pattern modified to accommodate the design woven into the blanket; straps of my own design; with the addition of grommets and leather ties.
Lined with a heavy/sturdy brushed cotton/denim (so soft to the touch) in a gorgeous rust/brown.  Two zippered pockets in this - I salvaged the blue tag from the blanket to sew into the lining, under my own label.
Brass grommets and leather thongs cinch in each side.  Hesitation on my part, but this thing sewed like "butter"!
A large, thick, black Bakelite button carved into something reminiscent (at least to me) of a poppy design - the center reminded me of a SW conch, but it had me at the stylized look of a Georgia O'Keefe poppy.
While the body of the bag is mainly deep red and black, this rust/black design ran the length of each side of the blanket, making it perfect for the straps.
I'll show you the other substantial purchase I made, later - more of the gorgeous blanket for now.
One bag done - a second/mine to follow.  Fraternal in nature, they will be, though cut from the same cloth (this was a 39" x 68" blanket). Loved having my Mom here while this was in production...she provided that little "nudge" (the old "Atta' Girl!") of confidence I lacked on my own with this one - Mom's are like that, aren't they?!  My sewing skills and inspiration come from her - I am happy to be able to give a little of that back to her.  I think she quite possibly left here a happy camper today.  

12 comments:

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Gorgeous! Your talent is amazing!

Laney said...

that is one beautiful bag.

kathyinozarks said...

I would have been like you and just would not have been able to cut up that gorgeous Pendleton-but your results are stunning-bravo!!

Dorthe said...

Dear Tanya, you are a fantastic seamstress , can I say that ?- you are fantastic ,sewing a bag so proffecionally as this one, how gorgeous, -yes ,your mother must have left with a big smile on her face, having such a clever and sweet daughter.
It is beautiful and so amazing !!!
Hugs from Dorthe

Jackie said...

Thta came out perfect. I still don't know why you are not a millionaire designer?? you should go on one of those designer shows and win tons of money....just saying.

My Garden Diaries said...

Are you kidding?!?! That is pure insanity!!!! It is Gorgeous!!!!!! Just too pretty dear friend!!! I seriously am at a loss for words right now! And to be able to work on this project with your mom is so very special! If you had more time you 2 could go into business!!! You amaze me! Nicole xoxo

Quinn said...

Awe.
Struck.
!!!

Laurie said...

Wow! You are very talented. I would never thought to use a Pendleton Blanket.....Brilliant!

Createology said...

This is a masterpiece of sewing. You and your mom make a wonderful duo of love and talents. This bag will be a treasured heirloom for generations to come. Be Proud Dear. Creative Pendleton Bliss...

Laugh Yourself into Stitches said...

Born, Raised, and living in the Beaver State and am shocked and horrified at the fist few sentences. What?? cut into a beautiful Pendleton blanket?

OH MY!! I want you to cut into one of these for me!! Love!!! Keep cutting! hee heee

Deborah Montgomery said...

wow, this is beautiful! You did a fantastic job.

Tammy said...

Oh wow, Tanya! I am thoroughly impressed. The bag is awesome! Excellent job. I'm sure your mom is quite proud! Hugs, Tammy