Thursday, April 16, 2015

CHERRY BLOSSOM TIME at the BELLAGIO CONSERVATORY AND BOTANICAL GARDENS, Las Vegas, NV

For those who can't make it to Vegas before May 1st (when the Summer Display goes up...yes, SUMMER - SHUDDER!!!!!), you're in for a treat.  I, the desert dweller who can't grow a thing in the "non-soil" that is Las Vegas (not that I could grown anything if I had REAL soil, either), grab my camera on a quarterly basis and "live vicariously" through the Bellagio Conservatory and Botanical Gardens .  This Spring they are celebrating the beloved Cherry Blossoms.  It is stunning, to say the least!
Over 82,000 flowers and 75 Koi fish in this gorgeousness, in addition to the non-growing display pieces.  This 18' Spring Cherry Blossom Tree was handmade for the display, taking 1,500 hours to complete.  The 3,000 lb. tree base/limbs house 300 acrylic flowers and leaves in the 20' canopy.
The 10' X 12' Japanese Tea House and surrounding gardens.  From one of the signs posted amongst the flowers, "...the tea house and gardens serve as utensils to "awaken" consciousness and to realize with humility our relationship with our surroundings and with the universe itself".
6' tall with a 6' wingspan, the beautiful crane has 1,400 cut flowers and 200 feathers.  As always with these displays, the flowers are removed on a daily basis, as they wilt and die.
Lilies and hyacinths - heavy sigh.  Those pale peach hyacinths on the bottom were "smelling up" the entire area they were in, in the most HEAVENLY of ways.  I had to drag myself away, and kept finding myself creeping back just to sniff!  It was like someone laid down an entire bottle of the most wonderful perfume.
The 26" tall Japanese Temple was inspired by Kyoto's Golden Temple.  The gold veneer doors feature wood frames with traditional rice paper Shoji screens.
There were two of these gorgeous trees in the display.  Note the raked sands/pebbles in the gardens...attention to detail is the name of the game with these gardeners.
ENORMOUS hangings of Bougainvillea and Wisteria vines from Bamboo framework.  THESE were SOOO cool!
And ALWAYS at least one Bride and Groom taking advantage of the gardens for the perfect photo op.
16' Tsukubai waterfall, emptying into a tranquil pond below.  A symbolic and "abstract" representation of Mt. Fuji rests in a bed of tulips next to the pond.  Mt. Fuji is the 35th most prominent peak in the world, rising 12,388 ft.
More shots of the splendor...including the turtle...
This happy guy is comprised of approximately 1,200 cut flowers.  Each topiary has a metal frame, holding foam in place, which is then sculpted around to create these amazing, happy pieces.
Daffodils, as far as you could see - well, not that far, but this was a huge bed, and sat behind those gorgeous, "smelly" peach colored hyacinths.  With all the beautiful things going on, this might have been my favorite spot of the whole display, just because of the colors and the fragrance!
And parasols...thirty-five of them, all hand painted.  If you live here, get down to the Bellagio quick, before it's gone.  If you're travelling through, make sure you stop in.  If you can't make it at all, I'm glad I went for you...and me!  Happy Spring, everyone!

9 comments:

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Happy Spring Tanya!
Gorgeous pictures.
I love the orange peach color flowering tree. All the flowers are beautiful, but there's something about a flowering tree that's all about spring.

Quinn said...

Well, since I don't *think* I will be able to make it there, I am very grateful that you posted all these stunning pictures and descriptions! The sheer scale of this is mind-boggling.
And I'm 100% with you on the scent of hyacinths...even when I see individual potted hyacinths in the grocery store around Eastertime, I have to go over to the display and inhale :)

Mary Ann Potter said...

How beautiful! I am convinced that they can "do it all" in Las Vegas, whether it's in or out o season!

oldgreymareprimitives said...

Great tour :D

Laurie said...

What a feast for the eyes. Love those daffodils!

My Garden Diaries said...

Oh my goodness is this just the most amazing sight ever! I happen to really have a thing for Japanese gardens as when I was in college I created a miniature Japanese garden sculpture out of shredded paper. This garden is outstanding! I could so get lost in here friend! I seriously can not get over all of the blooms! I would be interested to see all of the behind the scenes to this! Wishing you an awesome weekend ...hope you are grooving and shaking! Nicole xoxo

Terra said...

This display is dazzling, thanks for taking the photos. I think it would be hard to leave, it is so fabulous.

kathyinozarks said...

wow this is just awesome-thanks so much for taking us along on the tour-

Vicki Boster said...

This place is amazing-- their displays are beyond description. Your photos are totally awesome!!
Vicki