Saturday, February 20, 2016

PLAID LUNCHBOXES AND MERMAIDS - SATURDAY FUN...

Enough with the monkey - Happy Saturday, and JUST fun stuff!  I have looked forever for the plaid lunchbox I carried to Grade School, starting the day of this picture - my very first day in First Grade.  Untouchable because of price, in most antique stores, my daughter gifted me with this new reproduction set from Aladdin this Christmas.  She ROCKS!  My parents sent the picture - they ROCK, too!
My dress matched the lunchbox...and now I wish I had the Saddle Oxfords, too!  As for reference to running past monkeys in the last post?  It (an ENORMOUS black spider monkey) hung in the trees of a farmhouse on my way to and from school.  TERRIFIED me - probably why I stayed so skinny then, from all the running!  Maybe I should try it now.

The new lunchbox set is adorable, with all the old graphics under the lid, but new, useful containers inside - and an improved, large thermos, with METAL inside - anyone remember breaking the glass insides of the old ones?  Running from monkeys?!  This will go with me on my travels this summer.  I love it - I love my girl who thought to get it for me - I love my parents for sending me to school in style.  Stupid monkey!
And some final pincushion/cage doll inspiration for you to go out and fancy up one of your own.  This went to a friend two weeks ago - a California ocean loving, girl...this is the mermaid.
Handmade silk and silk velvet (yes, it's a real thing) roses - antique buttons, and vintage brass pieces, including a large clam shell and octopus.  Satin and oceany tulle skirts and ribbons - she was sent with oodles of large seashells, a large dried starfish and three mercury glass type ornaments to fill her.
Hoping your weekend holds nothing but fun.  Maybe some creative time - definitely no monkeys - some "ME" moments for YOU, and possibly a well deserved nap.  XOXO

11 comments:

Quinn said...

What a thoughtful gift...and the photograph, too. I never had a lunchbox when I was little, but I always thought they were a very distinctive item! I had to make do with pencil boxes :)
Oh, and I'm pretty sure the two Thermos flasks I have in my cupboard do have glass liners...makes me wonder how long I've had them now!
Have a splendid weekend, Tanya :)

Jackie said...

I never had a lunch box. Brown paper bags were the ticket when I was young. I love that set and the photo is so precious! Why didn't you make friends with the monkey? You could have brought him a banana everyday and then you would have had your own personal body guard monkey!! The mermaid is the most fabulous thing I have ever seen! Such talent in those hands of yours!

Ann said...

Oh the photograph is priceless!!! What a darling vignette that will make. I lived really close to school when I was in elementary, went home everyday for lunch.
ann

Laurie said...

I remember those lunch boxes. They're still as cute as can be. It was awful sweet of your daughter and parents to gift you in that way. Running from monkeys...now that's not something everyone can say. Lol!

Createology said...

The best gifts are the ones given out of extreme love and thoughtfulness which your family excels at doing. Love the photo of you with your plaid dress and lunchbox and those classic black and white saddle shoes. So very Sweet! Love, love, love your mermaid doll with cage of treasures. So beautifully created. Embracing Creative Bliss Dear...

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Congratulations! Its a lovely gift to receive.

I remember having a lunch box. The thermos glass did break. I don't remember what the decoration was. I think the thermos was red or blue. I definitely remember loving the red plaid like yours. Its weird that I remember the brown paper bags more than the lunch box. It wasn't cool to carry a lunch box once you went into like fourth grade.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Seeing that lunch box brings back very faint memories of carrying one to school. I don't remember a whole lot about my younger days for some reason. But I do have a first grade photo with my best friend Shannon. I had the longest, skinniest legs and had knee socks on with a skort and carried a satchel. :) Your mermaid is amazing!

Dorthe said...

You looks the sweetest little girl, in the photo dear Tanya, and so proud of the lovely dress and the lunchbox. so swet of your daughter to find tis for you, and your parents sending you the old photo, to go with the thermo and box.
Your mermaid I have admired before, and can`t look too much on her,-she is stunning in her robe and all your beautifully created flowers. They are gorgeous in the silk velvet, dear one, what a most amazing gift to your friend, ,it will be treasured forever Tanya !!
Warm Sunday hugs to you,
Love,Dorthe

Mary Ann Potter said...

Love this! The red plaid lunch box and thermos brought back memories for me, too --- and the photo is simply priceless. What a blessisng to have wonderful things like this. And, as always, what beautiful work you do.

Silva said...

I just love the lunch box and gorgeous photo!!! Hmmm...what delicious beverage would inhabit that thermos now...whiskey and ginger, I think!

kathyinozarks said...

your pincushions are so amazing--and how fun to get your lunchbox-enjoy!!