Sunday, January 27, 2013

"BUSY-GOOD"!

I just opened an emailed comment from a new blogging friend, with the sentiment that she hoped I was "doing something fun...relaxing...or busy-good!"  Busy-good it IS, though the house seems to have gone to hell this week ~ imagine that!  Finished up a few projects from before Christmas, that I had shelved because I had plenty of time...plenty of time!  OK, I had plenty of time, I just didn't manage it very well, because newborn babies have a time frame all their own.
The "Bad-Ass Baby Quilt" shipped out earlier this week, to a tattoo artist employee friend of my daughter.  Not your traditional baby quilt, but perfect for who it was going to.  I've heard it is going on the wall, behind the crib.
Some scrambling ensued on this one - quilted in a day, both specific to the fabric (around the dragons and edge blocks), and meandering through the rest of it.  Bound the next evening, in plenty of time before the new dad came back to work...barely.
Learning my time management lesson the hard way, this was quilted and bound yesterday (washed and gift wrapped this morning, even!), with an entire month to spare - BOO-YA!  A tough one to photograph - the colors did not show true, no matter what I tried.  Dark Red/Orange and Aqua (the outer border is a beautiful Aqua/Brown houndstooth check) are predominant...this is a total "retro feel" baby quilt ~ more traditional for a young, new family.
 
Two projects from the same pattern (BQ Quilt from Maple Island), two totally different looks...and both quilts ARE totally square (48"), though hanging slightly cattywhompus in the photos (for which I enlisted the help of idle hands in the house).  Both for sweet little boys - snips and snails, and puppy dog tails...and bad-ass dragons!
In between piecing the tops on these, putting them on hold through the holidays (because I had plenty of time), and quilting them, I knitted up a newborn size pair of MUKLUKS FROM "KNITTING PURE AND SIMPLE" - this has been such a GREAT pattern - easy to follow, easy to knit!  7 pairs made for Christmas - these tiny ones knit up in about 2 hours.
 
So yes, "busy-good".  Tired-good.  Happy-good!  XOXO


18 comments:

My Garden Diaries said...

You rock! Seriously who cares if the house goes to hell when you can make insanely cool things like that!!! Need some of those booties by the way!?!

Tanya Rachelle said...

The mukluks are darling! Cozy.
~T

Createology said...

Your time management skills are in turbo overdrive with all these fabulous projects getting finished in time. Uber fun quilts for today's hip young folks. Knitted Mukluks! Totally adorable. Good Good and Good you are. Creative Hearts are Happy Hearts...

Sea Witch said...

Love the quilt for the tattooist! Very neat fabrics and the booties are two cool for school. Great color palette.

Hindustanka said...

nice quilting! loved that tattoo like design, very nice idea:)
socks, oh, it's my dream to finally make at least one pair!
have a nice day :)

Mary said...

Wow! You are such an inspiration! I need to unshelve some of my projects! You do beautiful work!

Gutukas said...

Oh goodness, I haven't seen such untraditional quilts before, an interesting pattern, neat work and happy babies :) I cannot tell which I like more.... :)

Jackie said...

Oh T, those booties ROCK!!! I hope I can order a pair if I do get a Grand Baby! You need to sell those on Etsy!!

Anya said...

Hallo, thank you for your comment and for your choice!
a Kiss
Bogomilla

Elisabeth said...

Wow Tanya you do some really amazing stuff! The baby quilt is great! xx

Magdalena said...

Wonderful what you have created. I like it all.
Magdalena

Colleen Mcgraw said...

Love them Mucklucks that yarn is beautiful!

Dorthe said...

Oh you are a fast worker, dear Tanya! my goodness! the quilts ...and then the cute baby shoes knitted in only 2 hours .
I must be honest and say that I think the red/orange one ,in my world fits better with a newborn`s wall!!! but we are all different,aren`t we ?
Beautiful work being it jewels, knit,soldering or sewing, you are GREAT!
Hugs,Dorthe

Anonymous said...

Tanya those are beautiful quilts! You should be so proud of the work you are doing. And the booties are really cute as well. Have a great day.
Kym

Cindy said...

this blog made me tired....
Please bottle up some of your engery and send it to me...thank you..

Your quilts are so great! and I love the little booties! Perfect!

Have a wonderful...relaxing..Day!
xo Cindy

Quinn said...

Lovely quilts! Whew! And here I was, patting myself on the back for getting the laundry done today!

Unknown said...

Beautiful projects! And very organised to get one finished & wrapped a whole month out!
Sarah xx

PS thanks for the lovely comment on my blog! Our cow has "turned the corner" this morning and is on the mend :-)

AppleApricot Wen said...

o wow Tanya, beautiful quilts!! And my, I'm so tired-good too :)

hugszzzzz, Wendy @ AppleApricot