Thursday, May 2, 2013

LIKE A KID IN A CANDY STORE...

We had a real "Penny Candy Store" in the neighborhood where I grew up.  The gang would ride our bikes up there and drool over the glass front cases filled with licorice wheels, cinnamon bears, and just about every candy confection that you could think of.  I loved that store!  It's been replaced with another sort of candy store for me, now.  One that I love equally as much, but isn't quite as hard on the hips, though my tastes run considerably higher than just a few pennies these days - but whose don't?!  I spent the morning at that candy store, today.
I purchased a forlorn little vintage Dutch girl half/pincushion doll, while back in Denver last month.  Broken, but repaired quite well - she just needed some TLC...and some ribbons.  I headed to my friend Carole, of THE RIBBON STORE, pennies in hand.  She has just the right thing, each and every time, though more often than not I agonize over what to choose, just like I did as a kid in that candy store.  Vintage lace, new German moire and dotted organdy ribbons, with a handful of Carole's own folded silk ribbon roses sprinkled into the mix today - mouthwatering fun in soft hues to match the sweet glass girl. 
And how are these for mouthwatering?!  Some of Carole's own meticulous handiwork, heading to her show next week - tiny little silk velvet confections, just a tad bit larger than golf ball size (but not much), set in vintage porcelain egg cups.  Pincushions, or "just for pretty" - no two alike.  Her new blog, THE RIBBON STORE, is up and running now, and if you're ever in need of ribbons, laces, velvets, silks (it IS like a candy store), or some pretty wonderful vintage textiles, she's your gal.  She even threw the vintage "Oh Henry" box my way this morning, and it ended up being perfect for the post.
And I know she'll turn out to be worth every penny spent today - "because she's worth it!" (boy, Penny Candy AND a 1973 Loreal haircolor ad - I'm not dating myself much, am I?!).  Actually, she will be completed for pennies on the dollar - tiny, little glass girls don't take much.  Will keep you posted on her progress - tonight was blue moire skirt night, but Oh, Henry, it's bedtime now.  Happy Day After May Day!  What I wouldn't give for a licorice wheel...

9 comments:

Everydaythings said...

the little dutch girl is just ADORABLE!!!

DearHelenHartman said...

She's a beauty!

oldgreymare said...

Sounds like a great visit.

We used to walk a mile up a sticky tarred road to Shorty Bell's Gas station for our candy in the summer. Past the fileds of fresh mown hay and cows and sheep. Oh those innocent days in the 50's.

Dorthe said...

Such a beauty.... I totally love those roses dyed so lovely, and the little cossions are amazingly beautiful,dear Tanya- Stunning, what a lucky girl you are to be near such a shop!!
I`m exited to see what you are doing with the lovely porzelain doll!
Hugs from Dorthe-xx

Colleen Mcgraw said...

she is so cute

My Garden Diaries said...

I so wish there were candy shops like that for my beans! Seriously! How cool to have that kind of shop and that memory as a kid! Love it! That Dutch girl is perfect and Carole's lace and ribbons are so beautiful! And how sweet that she threw in that cool sign!!! I will jump over to her new blog to check it out!! What treasures and what sweet memories! I hope you have a rocking weekend friend! Cheers to you!

Jackie said...

Wow, love that pin cushion, she is adorable! I love black licorice!
Now I have a craving for it, thanks a lot!

Createology said...

Your new confections are blissful. I am excited to meet Carole next weekend here in Grass Valley. I am already drooling over her lovely ribbons and silks and velvets and OH MY Henry!!! Your little Dutch girl will be precious. Happy Hearts Creating...

Hindustanka said...

I liked how you described your visit to the candy shop and all those goodies your friend has in her shop too :) sounds really yumm!
the girl is no longer forlorn 0 she found nice home!
Have a wonderful day, Tanya! Hugs!