Friday, July 2, 2010

YOU'LL LOOK UP AND DOWN STREETS...

..."Look’em over with care.
About some you will say, “I don’t choose to go there.”
With your head full of brains and your shoes full of feet,
you’re too smart to go down a not-so-good street"...
The trip the following day took us on a quick stop to the ever enchanting Flagstaff (and I tried to get Dad to stop at more attractions, but it seems they are all "at least 60 miles" from the turnoff, so on we went to Flag), where some pretty great little treasures were found in a local antique store.  From there, we headed down the canyon to Sedona.  We passed an old, dilapidated truck with an old, dilapidated woman standing next to it, taking a driving break...the truck was covered with plywood signs indicating that she was on a "National Anti-Sodomy Crusade".  We whizzed by too fast for a photo op, but it did provide fodder for song on our way down the scenic canyon.

Sedona is almost surreal...beautiful, breathtaking red rocks surrounding just about everything.  The picture with the grass was taken from the step-out back patio door of our hotel - what a view!  If you've ever been to Sedona, you hear lots of talk about "vortexes" - Sedona is somewhat of a "spiritual energy" Mecca for many in the SW...perhaps why the Anti-Sodomy Crusade was heading there.  While I really can't explain it all, I found this blurb from a Sedona Internet site:  "In Sedona, vortexes are created, not by wind or water, but from spiraling spiritual energy. The vortexes of Sedona are named because they are believed to be spiritual locations where the energy is right to facilitate prayer, mediation and healing. Vortex sites are believed to be locations having energy flow that exists on multiple dimensions. The energy of the vortexes interacts with a person’s inner self. It is not easily explained. Obviously it must be experienced."

I told you I couldn't explain it!  So, not only is Sedona the "vortex site of the SW", it is an art gallery/quaint, unusual shop HEAVEN!  There is the ever bustling main drag through town that is jam packed with just about everything you could ever want (including the Chico's at the top of the hill where I amused myself, while waiting for Mom that day, by rolling pennies past my Dad, and into the dressing room of the unsuspecting woman trying on clothes...I never expected it to stay on its side clear through the store), and the amazing Tlaquepaque (Ta-la-kee-pock-ee) village at the bottom of the hill (and I swear I never noticed where my Mom's hand was until I got my pictures home).  Once again, art, architecture, sights, sounds and smells!  Yes, we had a Mexican food dinner that included margaritas at a quaint little restaurant with an outside patio, directly behind the large ivied wall. 
Which lead us to have to walk over to the outdoor sculpture garden of beautiful, slow moving "wind thingies" (a technical art term) and relax on the large natural stone chairs that were provided for your comfort (we don't break rules on our trips - that would never do - the garden has an open invitation for people to sit, relax, and take in all the beauty)...they had spent a day soaking up the desert heat, so were unbelievably soothing, even though you would imagine them to be so HARD.  And, OK...I DID get my Dad to touch the sign.  It was the one rule we broke all day.

"Day Two Sedona" brought a trip through the gallery housing the work of Susan Klewer, with a purchase of a new bronze scheduled to arrive in Denver in the next 3 or so months, as he was a work in progress...a wonderful Koshare to go with the Hopi Butterfly Maiden already there.  The Koshare is the beloved black and white, striped clown of the Hopi tribe.  Susan is an incredible talent and a warm, wonderful person!
And why so many photos of the folks on this post, you might ask...well, I'll tell you.  Aside from being quite photogenic, they celebrated their 54th wedding anniversary, right in the middle of all of this fun.  54 years!  Quite an accomplishment, and her hand is still landing in fun places!  We spent the evening polishing off one last Mexican food dinner (of course), and watched the sun set over the Sedona vortexes!
We blew a kiss to Sedona, for all the hospitality and fun, before heading into Las Vegas (NV, this time). And I did find that Javelina I was looking for (still no Javelins, though - thankfully - and both of these photos are bronze sculptures), right in the middle of town.

2 comments:

oldgreymare said...

What memories for the three of you!
You'll always be glad you guys took this trip.

Welcome home, enjoying the heat are we?

Suzan

Jackie said...

Oh wow, more fun stops, yes we need a grils trip to sedona! I have always wanted to go!!
I love the bronze pig, and I really really want the frog for my backyard!!
Can't wait for the story to continue! And 54 years, my that is un heard of nowdays, congratulations!!