Monday, November 5, 2012

CHARLIE CHAPLIN AND THE LAS VEGAS PHILHARMONIC...CITY LIGHTS

I've taken in quite a bit at various theater/concert venues this summer (Red Rocks Amphitheater in Morrison, CO up next - Steve Winwood in Vegas, later this weekend), but perhaps one of the most charming things I've had the pleasure of sitting through this summer was this past Saturday evening.  The Las Vegas Philharmonic played the entire score to Charlie Chaplin's 1931 silent film, CITY LIGHTS, while the movie was projected onto a gigantic screen behind them, center stage at our beautiful new Smith Center/Reynolds Hall.
(Photo credit San Francisco Chronicle - this is SF's Philharmonic, not ours)
Wanting to take my own camera with me that night, I was stopped short by the Smith Center, and told I should probably just pull photos from the Internet...so, by gum, that I did!
(Photo credit NY Times - this is our Smith Center, in their paper)
Our own entertainment review in the Las Vegas Review Journal this morning did not include photos either...evidently, no one from Las Vegas is allowed in with a camera - it's a shame - the Art Deco design inside the lobby is stunning.   But, I can't show you...no how, no way.
Suffice it to say that the Philharmonic was outstanding, as always (I went for the orchestra, and ended up falling in love with the movie).  The classic film was absolutely charming...so charming, in fact, that I am sure the "fabulousness" of the orchestra went a little unnoticed.  I found it pretty remarkable that, in 2012, a silent, slap-stick movie from 81 years ago could elicit the laughter that it did, the entire hour and a half - and, the house was packed.  All in all, a very wonderful evening - thanks to Sue S. for accompanying me where my husband would not ("Call me silly", he said..."Charlie Chaplin AND a Symphony Orchestra?  I think not!").  I think SO!
 
From the looks of the photos on the Internet that ARE allowed to be shot in concert venues across the U.S., this very event is being presented elsewhere...keep your eyes open - it's one to catch, for sure.

8 comments:

Colleen Mcgraw said...

Sounds like it was a great show. I have taken photos everytime I have been there and never had a word said to me ....weird

Createology said...

Tanya this is a wonderful venue and I would have loved it...every note and black and white vintage moment of it. Mr. C would have stayed home also. You certainly know how to enjoy life...blessings.

Dorthe said...

Dear Tanya,
I have seen City Lights ,and Charlie Chaplin,too -but only in the television at home, and without the fantastic feeling from a live big orchestra- you must have had a gorgeous night with your friend!
This friday my daughter invited me to hear, Madame Butterfly Opera in the new Opera House in Copenhagen! I so look forward to it, also as I have not seen this fantastic house inside yet..it is only some years old, and very special.
It is a birthday gift to me, so thats why the men are not attending,-but I am sure they would say the same as your husbond ,did :-)
Hugs ,
Dorthe

Tanya said...

ARGHHHHHHHHHH - MADAME BUTTERFLY in an Opera House in COPENHAGEN! I am SO jealous, Dorthe! Something tells me it will FAR surpass the local university performance I sat through two years ago. We take our
"culture" any way we can get it here in Sin City, where they're more concerned with the slots and tables! :-)

Jackie said...

Not sure if I could have held out for all that movement in black and white! But I would have loved the music/orchestra!

DearHelenHartman said...

Before they went on strike the Louisville orchestra was doing this - we never got a chance to go. They are really cutting back since the strike so not sure if they will. Wish I'd gone when I could.

Ann said...

This sounds like a wonderful evening. It is incrediable that a 81 year old movie making such a hit with everyone!! Thanks for the lovely happy birthday wishes.
Ann

Cindy said...

What a wonderful way to spend an evening! I love the architecture of the building...my favorite..
xo Cindy