Sunday, November 11, 2012

VETERANS DAY 2012 - USS Arizona and The National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific

Two profound and deeply stirring moments for me this summer, came while in the beautiful tropical paradise of Hawaii - standing atop the USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor...
...and walking through the hauntingly beautiful National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific, in Honolulu.  Both sites moved me beyond words, and should be a requirement for all Americans at some point in their lives.
The National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific (locally known as Punchbowl Crater) serves as a memorial to those men and women who served in the United States Armed Forces.
Since the cemetery was dedicated on September 2, 1949, approximately 53,000 World War I, World War II, Korean War, and Vietnam veterans and their dependents have been interred here. 
Quote ~ Abraham Lincoln...
To our brave service men and women who proudly, and so selflessly, serve today and have served, in years past ~ and to the veterans who have gone before them and given all for this great country of ours...
THANK YOU,
from my very soul!

5 comments:

Createology said...

God Bless America and all of our amazing Veterans. Thank you for this beautiful post.

Jackie said...

Thank you to all that serve, I am forever in your debt!! Thanks for the informative post chica!

Dorthe said...

What a most beautiful place to go to rest, dear Tanya. It must have been fantastic to actually be there, and feel the the past.
Hugs from Dorthe

Ann said...

I would love to see this in person, it looks so beautiful. My Dad served in the Army/Air Force during WWII and my husband served during the Viet Nam war. We are hanging our flag proudly today!!

Ann

Sea Witch said...

Stirring post and a location I will oneday make a pilgrimage to. thanks for stopping by and yes, I am kinda digging the new car in spite of the new payments that went with it. LOL