Saturday, March 2, 2013

JOAN CRAWFORD - AMERICA'S SWEETHEART...AND A DAY OF RETRO TREASURES!

Just when I could have sworn that it was someone else...who KNEW?!
 
My friend Jackie and I, in an attempt to add a little "happy" to my week, headed out to our favorite antique mall today.  It worked, bringing a smile to my face, some great retro memories to my heart, some new, old treasures in my pocket, and a satisfied appetite, to boot.
These came home with me - a pair of Bakelite barrettes (they're 2" wide); a brass squirrel pin with a beautiful pot metal tail; and the most excellent purchase of the day - a vintage Joan Crawford "publicity" pinback button that I couldn't bear to leave behind because, damn it all - nobody puts ol' Joan in a corner - and, no one would believe me about her title if I couldn't prove it!
A new restaurant experience for both of us, came in the way of CASA DON JUAN MEXICAN RESTAURANT, on Main Street, in the old/NEW art section of downtown Las Vegas.  FABULOUS food - charming atmosphere - the waitress took our order, and (SERIOUSLY) the food was on the table in 5 minutes time!
Across the street, we were beckoned by a large PINK building with a sign promising more antiques, art, furnishings, and accessories.  Seriously not thinking anything would top the Joan Crawford revelation, we wandered over, after lunch.  It was like walking back into my youth...they even had an entire pink kitchen (refrigerator, double oven, cabinets, AND the kitchen sink - no, we did NOT have a pink kitchen...the rest of the stuff was from my youth...the gin was from my 21 and over years).
As I mentioned, this area of old downtown Las Vegas, is seeing quite a movement to clean it up and bring a sort of art culture to the area.  In addition to the galleries and unique shops cropping up, the area also plays host to FIRST FRIDAY, each month - a gathering of artisans, entertainers, food vendors - an all-around wonderful evening out, under the Vegas stars.  RETRO VEGAS is located at 1131 S. Main St. - right across the street from the best Mexican food downtown.
And, as if all that fabulousness wasn't enough today, this was awaiting me in the mail.  Another win from the Grow Your Blog Party - this, a beautiful handmade bracelet from Jenny at PEPPA'S DREAM - vintage rhinestones; a beautiful, large, old religious medal; and brass filigree, all set atop a silver-toned cuff bracelet...pretty retro fabulicious, in it's own right!  You can find more loveliness at Jenny's blog, including a link to her Etsy shop.  Thank you again, Jenny - you ROCK!
Yes, smiles were plentiful today - here's hoping you find your "happy" this weekend, too...

8 comments:

DVArtist said...

Wow what a great day of shopping and eating. LOL
Lovely finds
Nicole/Beadwright

My Garden Diaries said...

Retro Vegas sounds like my kind of place! How cool that they are pulling in the arts and creating awesome shops! I am so jealous that you got to go out thrifting...that is one of my favorite ways to shop! Digging those finds lady! And your pretty bracelet too! Good Karma a plenty friend!

Jackie said...

Oh that was a fun day!! I loved getting out and we found cools items and Dang that food was awesome!! Thank you so much for hanging out with me! I needed to get out of my funk too!

okcamp said...

No. More. Wire. Hangers....God, I love Joan Crawford. Add some Bette Davis = Awesomeness! Looks like you had a fun day! I would have popped for that pinback as well.
~Diane

Createology said...

Fun shopping and dining day. It is good to see that area of Vegas is cleaning up and having "collective" fun. Now I am hungry for GOOD mexican food. Wonderful Weekend Dear...

Colleen Mcgraw said...

We went to that resturant some time ago and really liked it. Looks like you guys had fun

Melanie Schofield said...

Retro Vegas? Never even knew that shop existed. I want to go next time......please! Love the Joan button, she was a babe!

the old white house said...

What a great day! I love that little squirrel, so sweet, and your new cuff is gorgeous! lucky you! I want to learn to hula (today's post) by the experts... better save my pennies! happy Thursday! love, t.xoxo