Friday, March 26, 2010

Button, Button, Who's Got the Button...

What is it about old buttons that gets me?  Today was a very good day - especially for newly discovered, old treasures in the form of antique and vintage buttons, beautiful old buckles, with a few pins thrown in for good measure.  This collection goes three and four deep, in places, and weighs 2 lbs. - it covered a large cookie sheet this afternoon, when I got it home.

From the seemingly bottomless treasure trove of my friend Karen, "The Button Lady", to my eager hands - she had been holding some special items (what I refer to as "the good stuff"), and some "funky junk" for me (great for "repurposing").  Celluloid; bakelite; cut-steel; rhinestones; brass; mother-of-pearl; crystals; and then some (in the middle left of the picture is a silver spiral beaded button...those are actually all antique cut-steel beads - I know - I threw a magnet on it)!  Some of the exta large coat buttons will eventually be used in my sewing...purses and "whatnot".  The rest is bound for my special jewelry stash of "fixins'".  Want to know how to get ahold of Karen, here in Vegas, just let me know...I'm sure she mails too, for those out of state.  Happy weekend...I hope it's warm where you are!

Buttons and patches and the cold wind blowing,
The days pass quickly when I am sewing.
~ Author Unknown

3 comments:

Ahl Cooped Up said...

I just love old buttons too!
I can see the buckles on witch hats w/black ribbon woven through. I have a few that I've been hoarding for that purpose.

Norine/Henderson, NV USA said...

When the dog bites,
When the bee stings,
When I'm feeling sad.
I simply remember my favorite things...(like buttons!)
And then I don't feel...so bad. ;o)

Jackie said...

I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown
That is a favorite of mine back from my quilting days..You sure got a good button friend, wow, what a stash!