Tuesday, April 17, 2012

JUST MY CUP OF TEA and The Evolution of a Favorite...

My friend, Chris, is an incredible friend.  My friend, Chris, is an incredible artist (she also paints, and has a new cookie baking venture).  My friend, Chris, has discovered a love for beads and shiny baubles, and is turning it all into incredible jewelry.  My friend, Chris, is now sharing the love.
When she finished and posted this set recently, it lasted just until I spied it on her facebook post about 20 seconds later, and it now resides on my arm and neck.  It was just my "cup of tea".
The rhinestone pieces are vintage earrings, encased in glass and soldered impeccably (everything she does is impeccable...as well as incredible...Chris is also a painter).  Sari silk ribbons are tied onto both pieces, and those blue glass beads just sparkle and shine, like all get-out. 
She has a new facebook page HERE (just click, like Dorothy in Oz) where most of her work shows up, as it's finished.  You can also find her on her blog at  The Antique Pallet; and The Antique Pallet.Etsy has a few of her pieces that actually made it into the shop before being swooped up.
And now, the evolution of something that I am sure is going to become a favorite piece.  I started this a few months back and, not having time or the creative inclination to finish it at that point, it was put aside until a few evenings this past week.  Definitely a work in progress, with more photos to follow...
An old brass piece (with a bit of a "ginger brass" patina) of a beautiful Egyptian woman, 2-1/4" tall.  I am assuming she is probably Cleopatra, but will be researching her further, based on the headdress.  Malachite (a favorite among the Ancient Egyptians) stones set on either side of her, surrounded by seed beads, glass Czech Fire Polish beads, and glass Eye of Providence/Eye of Horus beads (and they laughed at me when I purchased them at a bead show a few years back, not knowing what I would do with them, but knowing I needed them).
This will be transformed into a 2" cuff bracelet, when all is said and done...a few more evenings of beading to stay awake while watching movies, and I just might have a new favorite.

12 comments:

Ahl Cooped Up said...

I'm the proud owner of two of Chris' creations, along with several of her paintings. This Gal Rocks! She is so creative.
Tanya, You are incredibly talented too!!! You both make amazing jewelry and other folk art.

Createology said...

I can easily see why you had to acquire your friend Chris's jewelry. The colors are beautiful. Your beaded cuff is stunning and will definitely become your new favorite. Creative Bliss...

theantiquepallet said...

Oh my Tanya, I am blushing!!! That is a high compliment coming from you....the one who started me out making jewelry!!! Thanks so much!!!

oldgreymare said...

oh my goodness! so that is what you've been doing when you're not getting me snockered :d
that is incredible girlfriend as is Chris' work.her name is Chris right? lol

Wow! such talent! I can say I knew you when...
xx
z

Jackie said...

I am watching her etsy store to grab a unique piece for myself, I love her soldering! The Cuff you are making is worthy of a magazine, amazing talent! I could never get my beads to line up so perfect!!

Jillayne said...

Wowsers! I love your cuff in progress - what a stunning piece it already is!
All that beading must take so much time, but how effective it is - wow, wow, wow is all I can say!

Dorthe said...

Oh ,your cuff is a stunning work my dear, simply just fantastic-
and the purchased jewlery also so wonderful, love her soldered pieces, and will go take a look-they are great the little boxes.
Hugs to you-
Dorthe

Katie@LeBeauPaonVictorien said...

Beautiful!!! I love the colors. And I think the cuff bracelet you are making is fabulous!!! Who could not love 'eye of Horus' beads? I have a "thing" for Egyptian stuff....! Thank you also for your kind comments on my blog post about my father. I appreciated it very much.

Mary said...

What an amazing piece your new cuff is! Okay, I think I need to take a class or two with you when I get out there! (I have never made jewelry in my life. You'll have your work cut out for you!)

And Chris is doing amazing things with the beads, ribbon and I love the vintage earrings. No wonder you scooped it right up.

Hopewell Creek Designs said...

She really is very talented. How you all do this is beyond me. I have loved and been amazed by your beading talent since I first found your blog. I will go and become a follower of hers on facebook,thanks for sharing her info!!

Carole said...

Your friend Chris sounds a lot like you. Talented friends just find each other.

Heard it was 97 degrees there the other day. That is just not right!

x
Carole

DearHelenHartman said...

I'm wowed by your talent. What patience to do that beading and what an eye to see the possibilities. Love the bracelet and necklace you scooped up too.