Saturday, February 15, 2014

GOLD MEDAL FINISHES AND BLOG PARTY WINNER(S)...

It's been a week of Gold Medal finishes...at least for me (and a few others at the end of this post).  Nothing keeps me awake on the couch at night (maybe because there is that risk of falling asleep and poking my eye out, kid!), like a ball of fabulous yarn (Manos del Uruguay Maxima wool), and a great knitting pattern (Regina by Carina Spencer).  Started last night, during the Men's Combined Skiing...this is in the semi-final heat and should be finished up, in Gold Medal Style, by tomorrow - darling little cloche for next winter. The outside will actually be what is considered the inside right now.  I know, tricky on the mind as that quadruple toe loop, but SUCH an easy pattern.
These were finished this week, during the Olympics as well...Honey Cowl and a pair of  Boot Cuffs (just how much of that yarn DID I have?!) - just getting a ski jump on next winter's gift gifting!  SCORE (and how bout' that Hockey Team of ours this morning?!)!
This is an Etui Box that I took a local class in several years ago - I never finished the "guts" of the thing, but fully intended to...some day.  Made to hold scissors and small hand sewing items, plus a pincushion - that was where I dropped the ball (sitting inside, but unassembled, for the past four years). Fabulous out-of-print fabric (don't ask - it might be a Robert Kaufmann, if I remember right)...a Halloween masquerade ball from the 40's.
Glass drawer pull graces the padded top - this was made from the bottom up, literally.  It started with heavy cardboard pieces that were all covered with fabric and assembled to make this little box with the green satin drawcord...
which, when pulled, reveals a secret stash of sewing fun.  LEGS - I thought that the fun Halloween fabrics deserved a fun pincushion, so ditched the rest of the doll for just the legs.  Finished, just this week - 10.0!
Quilted a bit this week, too...someone had a blog post yesterday about how many projects does a person keep going at any given time..bwahahahahaha - yes, my hobbies are as many and varied as my brain is apparently scrambled.  This beautiful LARGE scale (those mermaids are around 13" tall, and I know that right about now my Dad is reading this and hoping this is coming to HIM) Alexander Henry print is a hard one to figure out what to do with...almost too large for quilt blocks, but this will be a fabulous large duffel bag when done.  Again, not finished yet, but heading down the slope towards the finish line!
The blue was quilted with ocean waves, but the individual mermaids have been quilted around separately. One of the funnest things I do when quilting (and something I taught for getting the "feel" of your machine when free-motion quilting), is "tracing" around these large prints.  You get in that groove, and it's like a fluid, relaxing drawing done with your machine.
But enough of the creative shenanigans - without further ado, (and the crowd goes WILD!) the GOLD winner in this post is MELINDA @lapayasa.  Drawn the old fashioned way of the west - out of a cowboy hat), Melinda will receive the quilted makeup bag and Annie Oakley pendant.
And then, because I thought EVERYONE this week was "puppy worthy", and had a hard time leaving it at just that, I drew three more names, for a pendant each.  I had 86 entries...a few were in subsequent posts from the original blog post, but I included them all.  All three of these are across the ocean from me (well, actually one is across land, but WAY across land, up in Canada, 'ay).  Pam @ Pambustin.com; Tammy @ T's Daily Treasures; and Hannahpat @ Cosmos & Cotton - I will be contacting each of you for your mailing addresses.  To all who landed here via the Blog Party, a hearty thank you for visiting.  I've made quite a few new acquaintances, and revisited old friends...you're all winners in my book!

18 comments:

Jackie said...

Oh, the mermaids are most fabulous! yes, dear old dad and I will be fighting it out for those, perhaps kung foo fighting??? Ha, you must be in on some inside jokes for that.. but never you worry dear commenters, it is all good and well in blog land.
Tanya is a giver to all, the most generous soul I have ever met!

Tanya said...

Oh, what I wouldn't give to see you wrestling my dad...Dad would like it too much - probably Charlie, too! Yes, they are yours, Chica!

My Garden Diaries said...

You rock friend! Seriously!! You have some amazing mad skills!!! Goodness! I love everything that you made! I just wish you lived closer so you could teach me some yarn goodness! A wonderful weekend to you and a big congrats to the lucky winners!!!! Nicole xoxo

Stacy said...

Congrats to all of the winners! Whomever receives the mermaid duffle bag is likely to get a lot of attention carrying it. It is awesome! Great job staying busy :-)

Mary Ann Potter said...

I loved all your work here, and that little box is REALLY nice! I too am a multi-tasker when it comes to my projects. That's all part of the creative process! Have a fabulously blessed and blessedly fabulous day.

Quinn said...

Congrats to all the lucky winners!
And I love that magical drawstring treasure box :)

kathyinozarks said...

congrats to the winners-and I am anxious to see the finish with those awesome mermaids. I have been hand quilting away during the olympics, I am up to the finish-sewing the binding on-then I have allot of embroidered words to get sewn on.
enjoy your new week

oldgreymare said...

congrats to all the winners and your etui is fabulous! well everything you make is fabulous! and created with such love..

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Beautiful work. I love that hat pattern.

knitalatte said...

Love your Regina hat, adorable and the colors are oh so grand.
Wooza to the mermaid print! Can't wait to see what you make with it.
Hugs,
Karen

Elisabeth said...

Oooh such pretty things! I love them all :) The yarn looks really lovely.
Congratulations to the winners of your giveaway!
xx

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Hi Tanya, goodness, you have been busy. And that mermaid fabric would likely be banned in this country. HA! Love everything you are creating. Very cool sewing box. I never expected to win anything since I've barely gotten through the party list. Thanks so much! Best wishes, Tammy

Laurie said...

Just love your darling little cloche, Tanya. I've been knitting by the light of the Winter Olympics, too. And I don't dare go near the couch. Your knitting really is pretty. I hope to learn quite a bit more about it this coming year.

Jillayne said...

Love this post - such a winning feel to it!!
Your knitting is fabulous, especially those boot cuffs - clever, clever. I also love those boxes - very unusual, and that fabric is completely sigh-worthy!

Jillayne said...

Love this post - such a winning feel to it!!
Your knitting is fabulous, especially those boot cuffs - clever, clever. I also love those boxes - very unusual, and that fabric is completely sigh-worthy!

Createology said...

Your post is a 10.0 in clever amusement! Relating to the Olympics is epic. Love the cloche, boot cuffs and cowl. Fabulous Etui Box and the legs are a total unexpected element. Gorgeous mermaid fabric and I do hope you post the finished project photos. Congratulations to your GYB winner and bonus winners. You are the best Tanya Dear...

Vicki Boster said...

Love the hat- it's gorgeous--,your yarn choices are just beautiful:) going to check out the pattern!!
Vicki

fairyrocks said...

Fun draw post LOL I am wild about that mermaid fabric!! Stunning. Wish it came in paper. Keep smiling and creating. {about the projects on the go....well top secret around here...and would I have to include the pile of almost forgotten?...}