Thursday, April 14, 2011

MY OLDEST FRIEND IN NV...

and her son, Colton...

OK, actually this is not her OR her son, Colton.  My dear friend, Melanie, came forward a few weeks ago and ordered something special to be made.  Melanie was the first person I met upon moving to NV, and has remained one of my best friends for the past 17 years.  Her son (one of four children, but I'm sure he is her favorite.  Actually, Melanie mailed Valentines cards to each of her children this year and told them each that very thing, and not to tell the others...did I mention she is also one of my funniest friends, EVER), Colton plays football for Carroll College (NAIA National Champions for 2010), in Montana.  Mel needed a "booster" necklace to see her through the season.  Having seen one of my other necklaces made with an antique children's wooden block, she asked if I happened to have an "8" (his jersey number) in my possession...I did (though it took some searching).
I resined Colt's team logo into a brass charm for the bottom, along with the larger National Champion logo to dangle behind the block, next to Mom's heart (the back side of the block has the number 3 on it).  Team colors are gold and purple (I hope).  Czech glass fire polish beads add a little sparkle (a few golden color freshwater pearls found their way onto the chain this afternoon, post picture session), and a hand hammered brass charm with their last name was also added.  Earrings were thrown into the mix, along with the pearls, and they are headed to Montana tomorrow.
And, in between a few sewing projects, and nursing a sick pup, I found the chance to finish up some promised items for a "newfound" friend in IN.  Swarovski crystal hearts (73 in each heart), in pink and clear, are heading off in time for a Breast Cancer Gala.  They will get delicate silver chains tomorrow, and will fly off to their final destination.
The beautiful, blown glass heart necklace on the left was received, this past Valentine's Day, from another cherished friend, Susan Silva.  Susan was my daughter's incredible art teacher throughout high school, and always told me she couldn't wait 'til my Jaci's graduation, so we could start hanging out (I believe it was the drinking she was looking forward to)...I guess it's the teacher version of the "I don't date my patients" clause.  Susan is a joy - unfortunately, time was pretty limited between that graduation and her husband accepting a new job in VA, where I know her new students love her as much as we do!

The two Celtic looking beaded pieces are new, and were a small diversion from serious thoughts this week, in the evenings - just something I picked up from another friend, The Boss Colleen.  Hope your week has been wonderful, spent among family AND friends.  Mine isn't over yet, with a few more friends involved tomorrow.  Melanie, I hope your team wins BIG!

6 comments:

Jillayne said...

I love how you started this post - way too funny!
And what a cool necklace - I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it - I love how you resined and charmed a football logo!

Jackie said...

Wow, you never cease to amaze me at the projects you can get done while still running a full house! I can barely get my socks on, and it is just me and my hubby!
I have always loved the block necklaces! Very unique and charming! Great job T-bird!

The Primitive Bucket said...

Beautiful girl... as always!!! You do such good work, everyone should order a necklace or a bag from you!!! :O) They would have a piece of art for sure!!

Hope Joe is better.. Love you!!

Melanie Schofield said...

Oldest friend huh? Only by 381 days! I was the envy of all the other football moms at the spring auction last night. The necklace is beautiful and I'm honored that you shared your number 8 block with me. You have and always will be the only normal neighbor in our "hood." Thanks again! Your rock Tanya G! xoxoxo

Hopewell Creek Designs said...

Oh Tanya they look so beautiful....I can't wait to get them!!I just posted the commercial for the Gala on my blog,check it out,I hope it brings loads of people to the event.
Thank You so much =)

Mandy said...

I love these wooden blocks & how you use them in your jewelry!